Tuesday, January 29, 2013


Why I Agree with...

Why I Raise my Kids without God.”

Dear Mother of Two,
As I read your blog the other night, I found myself agreeing with you more than expected. You see, I am a pastor's wife and  on so many points, all I could respond with was, “I can see how I could somewhat agree with her."


Please indulge me as I explain...

1. God is a bad parent and role model.

I can see how you would feel that way. In our society, God is a bad parent. We are living in a generation where “good parenting” is permissive parenting. We encourage kids to “find themselves” in a self-absorbed quest for “ME”. We tell them that the world is their stage and they are the show. God says “ No!” He demands discipline, respect, honor, and holiness.

As far as a role model, a model must have the propensity to be replicated. Check those credentials, It can't be done.

2. God is not logical.

You are so right. Logical people make sense. There is an order and predictability to their actions, It would be ridiculous to think that the Creator would choose to redeem HIS creation with HIS own child.... just because.

 3. God is not fair.

Again, you are correct. What is fair anyway? It means in accordance with the rules. The Maker of the rules did not change the rules just to placate us. Fair would be allowing our eternal separation. Fair would be allowing HIS creation to get what we deserve. Fair would be an existence with no hope, or help, or Savior.

4. God does not protect the innocent.

True again. HE does not protect the innocent ...because we are all guilty. Born a sinner in need of a Savior. What HE does protect is His promise to never leave us or forsake us if we trust HIM.

5. God is not present.

If you look up the definition of present it says “in the moment”. God is not present. He is not merely “in the moment.” He is the Alpha and Omega, beginning and end, first and last. Time begins and ends at his command. You may call HIM what you will, but please don't regulate my God to simply being... present.

6. God Does Not Teach Children to Be Good

He teaches them to be godly. Good is subjective, based on perspective. Our standard has never been good , because you can never be good enough.
Now, what you said about religion, I'll take it one step further....I do want it to go away. Far away. So far away that I want my kids to understand it is opposite of what I want for them. I want them to have a relationship. Not a set of rules to follow or tasks to do. I long for my girls to know HIM and to be known by HIM.


Dear friend, You are right. Most of what we believe about God is inconsistent and illogical, but so are things like love, forgiveness, faith, dreams, or even the concept of home. If you are going to throw out God, then you must throw all of those things to which we cling.


The one point where we must part ways is your last. You say that you understand why other people “need” God, you just don't have that need. I just don't see how anyone can survive without HIM. My friend, the mere fact that you have put so much effort and time into your rebuke about the things of God shows me how close you are to figuring this whole thing out.


I don't judge you because honestly, I don't know you. I have never spent one minute with you. I have never sat at your feet and poured my soul out to you. You have not been with me on my darkest nights or held me until the light broke through. You were not there at my first breath and you will not be there at my last. My future is not in your hands. I don't know you.


But I do know HIM.


I can 't explain HIM. I won't even try. Just like I can't explain love, forgiveness, motherhood, or what it feels like when you can't take one more step- and then you do. I don't know how to put into words the ONE who authored history. I can't make you hear the call of the ONE who created sound. I can't teach your heart to see things your eyes cannot.

But I can introduce you to HIM, because I know HIM.

~ if you ever want to meet HIM, I can introduce you. He even knows my name.

Niki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages