Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Purple Fingernail Polish


  
I admit it, I was almost done. OUT! Finished! Tired. 

Not end-of-the-school year tired…. but life tired.  

It seems that in the never-ending battle for our kids, we are losing.  I have encountered issues lately in my classroom- things you would never believe.
So this end-of-the-year "gift week" finds me  just a little cynical

      But there they sat, a little trio just waiting for me.

  I almost missed them. At this time of the year, the counter we affectionately call my desk, turns more into an abyss.

  She set them carefully on the corner, just hoping I would see  them:

          A half- used bottle of fingernail polish remover, and a purple bottle of fingernail polish attached to a handwritten note.

Her heart-felt contribution for Teacher Appreciation Week.   
 

     She’s just a kid who needs a mom, and somehow I am a mom to all these kids.

 It just comes with the job and every one of you knows it.  

Like a line item on the job description:

           # 25.  Fix hair, tie bows, wash jackets, be mom, etc.

Sometimes I forget the enormous responsibility handed to me. Other days, honestly,  I choose to ignore it. 

But today, I was given a beautiful reminder that these babies are here in my classroom on purpose.

And until God moves me, I am planning on staying right here.

Because while I am supposed to do my job, I am entrusted to do a whole lot more.

     I hope this finds you ending your school year well.  I hope you feel appreciated for the wonderful gift to the students you are…

     And, I hope in some small way, you all get your own bottle of purple fingernail polish.

                ~niki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages