Mark 16:7
“But go, and tell the disciples , and Peter, that He is going before you into Galilee. You will see Him there.”
Two little words kept haunting me as I read it. Two little words I have seen thousands of times. Two little words which now mean so much more to me. The redemption of two little words .
And last night I saw it. It was jumping up and down. Like a little distraction dancing on the page.
The two little words….and Peter
I was reading about the tomb- the first visit to perfume the body of Christ. There on the pages it hit me
…And Peter.
You know Peter. Loud, argumentative, boisterous, passionate at all the wrong times. One minute ready to battle for Jesus- hours later… cursing and hiding.
Peter, the one who denied Him.
Peter, the one who ran away, turned his heart when Jesus didn’t do what he said. Peter- a lowly fisherman, then disciple turned anarchy.
…and Peter.
One minute preaching his name- the next disappointing Him. Guess that is why those verses were flashing at me. Even after all the mistakes, the failures, the broken promises, Jesus still wanted Him.
Let’s be honest here. If I were Jesus, I would have been mad. What do you mean denying me? You said you would fight, you said you would die.
All Jesus said was--- and Peter. Redemptive love would not have been my theme.
Jesus- the One who never gives up, never lets go. The One who knows our hearts despite our bad decisions. He wanted Peter!
The thing here is this- I identify with Peter. I have had moments. Moments of absolute commitment sprinkled through a lifetime of misplaced direction. Moments- some loud, boisterous determined moments, some moments of hiding in the shadows. Teetering between devotion and despair
The story last night was different somehow- It wasn’t so much about the saving of the lost- but the restoration of the found. The ones who know Jesus, who have sat at His feet. The ones who have seen His power and felt His presence. The ones who claim Him, yet deny Him.
It is about redemption… Of those who know Jesus and those who don’t
It is about our humanness and His holiness colliding in a demonstration of all consuming love. It is about us.
Always thought the story was just for the lost. Forgiveness of sin. Price- sacrifice. Salvation is at hand. Resurrection power pouring down. Lost souls coming to Christ.
While it is—what does it mean to us once we accept it? It means…and Peter.
That same love that hung on the cross, the same love that restored Peter is the same love I come to daily. In the middle of my fallible heart stands a Savior. Not just loving me- not just waiting for me- but seeking and inviting me to come back. To run to him- failure and all and know he wants me- He asked for me!
So there in the middle of my Bible is a new story. A fresh, exciting and personal- the cross isn’t just about salvation – the cross is about God’s irrevocable love for his screwed up- messed up- children.
The invitation is still there. He still wants us back.
No comments:
Post a Comment