Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Where I am From

Where I’m From

(Adapted from George Ella Lyon)

Nicole Millraney

I am from 505 Castlegate Drive, a quiet little dead end where I spent my childhood.
From Opryland and UNA softball, where I hit a home run and my mom threw up.
I am from basketball games where I made the winning shot,
Victory never tasted so sweet.

I am from Ezell- Harding Christian School and Tusculum Hills Baptist Church, where the foundations of my life were laid.
I am from “Silly Girls” and rolling houses, loving my sister Cindy, and eating Nestle Tollhouse pies.
From Shotgun shells, fake fingernails and four wheelers in the rain.
Wet, nasty, covered in mud,
Having the time of my life.
Daddy always said “true beauty is versatile.”

I am from grandmother’s house, chocolate chip cookies,
And “Every woman looks beautiful in red”.
From hitting the only light pole on the property, and refusing to cry when it hurt.

I am from taking Geometry seven times, but never letting it take me.
From cramming four years of college into seven,
Crying but never quitting.

From “Yes, Lord I will follow” and “Yes mom, I ‘m going to marry him”

I am from 223 Fuller Hall, the first place we called home.
No air, no carpet, and no money
Just with love, the world to face.
In that setting, I learned about God’s Amazing Grace

I am from mom and dad, my dear parents,
And Gary, the only love I’ll ever know.
From Lindsey Grace and Anna Kate, who set my heart aglow
These are my memories
Precious no doubt,
The ones I wouldn’t want to live
My life without.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages