Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Boomer Ranch Adventure

              There are some things you just hate to admit to people.    Let’s face it though, my reality is others people’s comedy. I say this with all sincerity; our family could star in a reality TV show.  
My sister actually threatened me one time with turning us in to Dr. Phil. When I asked her why she didn’t, her answer was comical.  “You people would scare Dr. Phil.”

  Well, there you go!  

             One of my facts not so easily admitted must be the new rule in our family while the van is in motion.  I have recently had to institute the “No talking while driving/riding” rule for my girls. This was an absolute necessity after I completely ditched van.   I now understand why disciplining and driving is not such a grand idea.  It is very hard to explain to others on the scene of the mishap that you were flailing your arm wildly trying to hit whatever/ whoever popped up closest.  My luck never fails.  Just about the time I took my eyes off the road to ensure I made contact with at least one of the offenders, I jumped the curb and ended up with two wheels in the air.

             This rule has re-established order and decency in the car. It is truly difficult to fight if you are not talking and can’t see each other (I make them sit one in front of the other).

             Well, I have made an exception this week.  Since it is VBS week, I told the girls we could sing in the car.  Big Mistake!  After three days of hearing BBBBBB….BBBBBig Apple Adventure, my nerves were wearing extremely thin. I found myself  saying   “If I hear “bbbbig apple adventure” one more time, I am going to scream.”  Please pick another song…. if you must sing.

 I really should know better.

            They proceeded to sing all the songs from all the years they have done Bible School (which is a lot considering Daddy is a minister).  Now Anna Kate is only  6,  so her repertoire consisted only of the last 3 years.  Lindsey kept pulling up songs from waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy back.  I was astounded by what they recalled. I head songs about Boomerangs.  I heard songs about Saddle Ridge Ranch, Capers, etc. 
 It was quite a little concert.

            As I was listening to the performance, it quit being a cute little show to pass away the summer day.  I really began to hear the words of the songs.

Saddle Ridge Ranch-  Discoverin' whenever I need wisdom God is the one to ask. ( Yep, been there)

Tumbleweed-Don't be all dried up, fried up, or petrified.  ( Yep, still there some days)

Boomerang Express: It all comes back to Jesus. No matter where you go or what you do the most important thing in life is that you choose to live for Jesus (Took me years to get this one!)



            In my scrapbook, I have a picture of myself on stage, as a 5 year old, singing:

 God made me special; I am the only one of my kind. He gave me a body and a bright healthy mind. He has a special purpose that He wants me to find. He made me something special I am the only one of my kind.”

 “I am a promise, I am possibility. I am a promise with a capital P.”

             I am 36 years old, but I still remember every word of the songs I sang that night.  While I was a typical child and jumped right off the stage during the performance, the words seem to stick much better than my feet did.  I have had to go back into the recesses of my soul and pull those songs out from time to time to sing back to myself when I felt like I was inferior, or just a little lost.

            As I listened to my girls sings their little hearts out, I heard an astounding truth; they already know all they need to know to make it in this life.  While I am not throwing in the towel at 6 and 9, the foundations that they will build their lives on are forming right in front of me.

             Proverbs:  “Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”

                 I am so thankful for the ones who have so patiently taught my girls.  Through kindness, hard work, mixed with incredible amounts of fun, you have helped me touch tomorrow.  There will be a day when I won’t be there.  It is hard to think about, but true for us all.  It is so comforting to my heart as a mother  to know that  one day they will too  be able to go back and pull out songs from their childhood.

 I may not be there to tell them, but the truth will stay the same.... No matter if they are 5 or 85.
                                      “It all comes back to Jesus."
                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages