Stained Glass
It is all I can think about lately. An image that keeps invading my thoughts. It is a picture I just can't shake.
Shattered pieces of clear glass scattered on the ground and a beautiful stained glass window. The most beautiful one I have ever seen.
The glass on the ground is where my mind turns first. Disordered, it was once whole. Clean, pretty, functional, solid. It allowed illumination and warmth to enter while offering protection from the harmful elements.
But something had to have happened, clear glass covering the ground could never just break. Something, somehow, broke the pane.
Broken glass is a dangerous thing. Unless it is cleaned up with great care and attention, broken glass can only do one thing...hurt.
Then, I see the beautiful stained glass panel. I notice that it is made up of broken things. Remnants of what was once whole, fused into a new creation. Hard to believe anything beautiful can come from something...so shattered.
This has so bothered me that I actually studied a little about the process trying to understand my picture, and I found out something interesting.
True stained glass is created when the pieces of glass heated to incredible temperatures allow elements from within to mix with added elements from outside. The colors are a result of searing heat mixed with internal elements, with added minerals being applied. The resulting color represents a lasting picture of the elements that were within the glass itself.
Lastly, I think about the person. The Creator of this masterpiece. Unwavering loyalty to the unveiled, completed product. Having the vision, the Artisan must be very selective in deciding what pieces will stay and what pieces will have another destiny. All of the pieces are valuable, yet ultimately they will not all rest in the same creation.
How I hate to see things broken. Even more, I hate to see broken people. Isn't it interesting that the process of refining is the same? Glass into art.... broken hearts into beautiful stories.
How I wish we as people could fast forward to the beautiful mosaic. The masterpiece that remains when the searing process is complete. The vision of the broken being restored.
A changed life. A new direction. A portrait of beauty that can only exists because of the hands of the Artisan.
No comments:
Post a Comment