Treasures…
The end of the school year can be a harrowing experience. We never seem to roll gently into the close of the school calendar. It is more like a hurricane. There is always a list of so many things to accomplish, tasks that need to be done. Every day is so incredibly full that you seem to be haunted by that end of the year list. On that list is one thing I put off as long as possible:
The dreaded teacher gift.
I actually hate giving teachers a present. How can you adequately represent all of the blood, sweat, and tears shed over not just all the kids, but mine? It can’t just be a trinket, this person has poured themselves into MY child. It must be perfect, special,memorable, and let's not forget about it being under "x" amount of dollars now! :)
As a teacher I have gotten some pretty cool things over the years. In fact, I was given two very personal, very perfect, gifts this year that I will always treasure.
That is what I want, a treasure not a trinket.
I asked Anna Kate what we should give her teacher this year in appreciation of all of the work that she has done with our “Baby Girl.” She was so quick to answer: "A coffee cup, perfume, and a set of pearl earrings from Kmart." I agreed, and she filled her bag, but I could never figure out why these things were so important.
I pressed her(trying to write a cute little card explaining the reason behind each gift) and she wouldn’t answer me other than to say that "this is what I NEED to get." I conceded for the simple fact that you will never win an argument with Anna Kate.
Determined to receive clarification, I then thought I would “trick her.” If I changed the question would Iget the same response?
“When you think of your teacher, what do you think about,what does she LOVE?” Her little face was so sweet. She was puzzled. I changed the question on her and she caught me. She said, ”You asked me what she would LIKE. I already told you what she would LIKE Mommy.” She paused and then added... “but, If you want to buy her a present about what she LOVES, then we should get her a cross!
When I asked why, she said so simply, "Because Ms. Jones loves Jesus!”
Out of the mouths of babes.
I am not sure I have ever been so humbled, and grateful all at the same time.
Humbled, because I know that if I asked her the same question about me, that would not be her first response. Grateful, because she has spent the last 180 days, 1,040 hours with someone who that can be said about.
7 year olds miss nothing. There has been no show. She has not been duped. Just real life, lived out in front of real kids, for a very real Savior.
Teachers, please remember, they are watching. Please remember, MY children are watching.
As far as I am concerned, I can check this one off my list...
Anna Kate gave the gifts from the Millraneys,but we found the Treasure......
in Ms. Micki Jones.
in Ms. Micki Jones.

No comments:
Post a Comment