My name is
Niki,
and I admit I am a “Black Friday Shopper”.
and I admit I am a “Black Friday Shopper”.
My
sister and I get up long before the sun.
We trudge through the masses in search of treasures, we laugh at the
idiots who fight over Furbie ( actually
saw someone go down once over that one!), and we love it.
I have listened for days on the protest
over shopping and Thanksgiving… and for the life of me I just don’t see
it. I don’t even see why it is a point
of discussion.
I have read the rebuttals about how it
takes “thanks” out of Thanksgiving Day. Personally, I think that is a wonderful
concept.
We take a DAY and say “Thanks
God”... read that again
We
take a DAY and say “Thanks God”
There are over 70 + other verses
that talk about a thankful life style.
What happened to Thanksliving? What happened to daily acknowledging of what
God has provided? What happens on
Saturday or Monday? Why is that supposed
to be different than Thursday?
I want to
grab the “nay sayers” and ask them all, “So, you don’t plan on buying or
shopping?” If you are going to be gluttonous, irresponsible, excessive, or
over the top, then why does the day you do it on matter?
Are those who scream “excess” on Thursday
are sitting at the computers on Monday fighting for the Cyberdeals?
Most people
I know who preach about the evils of Black Friday shopping, still do it. They just feel better about it on Dec. 1.
Now, we do Thanksgiving like everyone
else. We eat and spend the day with
family. We are genuinely reflective and thankful for what we have as a family,
but that also happens EVERY other time we eat or come together.
I used to think that we were missing
something because our Thanksgiving dinner was just like every other dinner,
then I realized the blessing that is.
Being raised in a family of faith whose PRACTICE it is to recognize God
and his goodness daily, did kinda makes Thanksgiving…. just a little bigger
meal.
I guess, at Thanksgiving we need to remember
that the beauty of our country… is in choice.
The choice has never been about
what day you are to be Thankful, but just to be thankful.
I wonder sometimes if the people
yelling the loudest about Thanksgiving are
the ones who would miss it altogether…..if it were interrupted on that ONE day.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment