Saturday, February 12, 2011

Christmas at Wal- Mart

You know, every year I am determined not to let Christmas be commercial. To keep the fun and the meaning intact. To protect the magic of childhood and the miracle of His birth. A noble venture…. at which I usually fail.



Today is Christmas Eve and I was where everyone else in the world was….. Wal-mart. Doing what mothers do --- just picking up a few more things. To make it the BEST EVER. I had been around the store twice and I was beginning to lose that holiday magic.


I saw her. Wanting to avoid her because my to do list was long and she is by nature, well--- not a short visit, if you know what I mean. I stopped to exchange pleasantries. Embarrassedly, I only half listened to what she said. As we wrapped up our conversation, she looked at me and said “ May you have a blessed Christmas and a blessed New Year”. I smiled and said, "Not sure it could get any better" and walked off. I was being flippant, and then my own words began to ring in my ears.


I looked in my buggy. Tears began to pour down my face. My attempt to improve on what is already more than enough. Right there in the candy isle- Jesus showed Himself to me. To remind me of the reason for it all. To stop and once more get my attention about things that are eternal.


Blessed, I am so unbelievably blessed. I need for nothing, I want for nothing. and I have HIM. The best blessing the world has ever been given.


My pitiful attempt of making good…. better was embarrassing. My ephiphany- caused me to change right there in the candy isle at Wal- mart. I dried my tears and put all my extra stuff back.


Christmas had already come to me….. right in the middle of Wal- mart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages