Saturday, February 12, 2011

One Room.... THBC Homecoming

It didn’t hit me until I sat down. Then, it consumed me. The simplicity of it all… in this one room. I sat there, taking it all in, with just a single tear rolling down my cheek.



One room. My life, my decisions, my foundation.. .all in this one room.


The Sanctuary at THBC.

You see, over there to my right, I walked the isle and made my profession of faith at 8. To my left is the isle I walked down as a bride to my prince 15 years ago. Up there, way up there in the top- I was one of the “balcony rats”. Bottom floor- 5 rows from the back- middle section, left side- my parents (every service) for over 20 years could be found.

You know, I saw my husband in this room for the first time. He surrendered to the ministry-….right over there.

I was baptized in that baptistery. Sang in that choir loft. Performed on that stage. Gave my testimony in that pulpit.  All in this one room.

21 years of memories- now ,I know I should have been listening to the preacher (and Bro Doug, I did hear most of it) , but my mind kept wandering.

Am I 35, am I 15 OR 5? It is kind of hard to tell in this … a timeless moment.

History, Everybody has one- Everybody needs one. It is important to remember from which you came. I haven’t been in this room in over 10 years physically- but I come here often…. In my thoughts .

You know, the voice of God still echoes in my head and heart as only Bro. Doug can.


I think of the countless hours spent listening to someone share the Words of God with me and know that who I am today….. was built then. It is humbling to know, had they not taken the time, my life would be vastly different.

So I sat there today, looking around at the past and how it has fused into the present . It makes me nostalgic and just a little sad.
How can you be homesick for a place you know you can never have again? Those days are wonderful memories, remnants of another era. The record of my beginnings, but nevertheless, a page that has already been turned.

I am so thankful for my years at Tusculum. THBC is forever in my heart. My years there were precious. A lifetime of memories to share- and while I know I can’t re-live those days, it is comforting to know…

On occasions- very special occasions like this-- Who says you can’t go home?



NM2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages