Children, my life has been devoted to them. Thousands of kids have darkened my door. Every kind, shape and color. In all this time spent with kids I have come to one conclusion. There are only two kinds of kids.
The first kind of kid needs time, love, encouragement, and support sprinkled with a little fun and discipline. Then there is the other kind of kid. They just need MORE. The ones that will test every bit of patience, every ounce of kindness, the ones who will absolutely exhaust you if you let them.
It seems like every year I get a few “ MORE” kids. They seem to be prevelant lately. I have been told that the only way to deal with these kids is pray for an answer.... or exorcism.
This proposition collides with my current philosophy about my students. I had a revelation years ago about my classroom and my kids. I do not pray about my problems with students. I know it sounds weird, but it just wasn’t working for me. "God, help me not to lose my temper when "Willie Bob" interrupts me for the 65th. time!" I would pray for them (whatever our classroom problems was) and then all day long I would focus on what I prayed for, watching for the answers. This will make you crazy. It made me crazy.
I determined that I would pray for God to show me Him in situations and show ME what to do. If I spent my time focused on Him, then their problems would seem so small.
I try very hard not to waiver from this plan. So, I was really shocked last Thursday night. I was in my bed praying and I kept seeing one of my students flash across my mind. I would ignore it and try to focus, but I just couldn’t. I finally asked God “ What’s up with this kid?”
Now the little side note is... he is one of those “ MORE “ kids. I have expended so much energy on this one child that I actually thought that was why he was now invading my prayer life.
God was pretty straight with me though (usually is). He said “You have been pretty rough on him this week. He has done everything you asked. He needs some special attention tomorrow. A treat, a reward, a kind word from you. He needs some affirmation. He needs to HEAR YOU say good job. He has done his part, now step up and do yours.
Well...ok then. Not one to want to argue with God,
I went to bed determined that I would be obedient the next day.
Friday morning came, and I was on duty in the gym. I saw him walk across the floor. I swallowed hard and told him to come to me. I actually told him EVERYTHING. I explained that while I was praying, he was on my mind. I told him how God told me to talk to him. I told him that he had done well, and I was so proud of him for his efforts. He would get to choose a reward.
I wish you could have seen his face as I talked to him. I thought he was going to cry. He looked at me and said “ I needed to hear that I had done good (his words). Mrs. Millraney, last night was a bad night. You see, my mom was sick. She didn’t make it to my ballgame. I hit my first homerun this year, and there was no one there to cheer for me.
I stood there amazed. Not so much at his situation, but at my God.
The idea that an 11 year old kid, and his broken heart...touched the heart of God. So much in fact that God told his teacher(me) to cut him some slack, and love on him the next day.
Honestly, it sent chills down my spine.
The Creator of the Universe who holds time in His hands. The author of life and death. GOD! ....And all our tears matter to Him. Not earth shattering tears...nobody died. It was just a game, but it was important to him and so it was important to God.
I have always believed that God cares about the little things in our lives. And now I have some proof!
Just think...God even cares about baseball.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment