Sunday, July 1, 2012

Tirade of a Mad Momma....

 Yesterday, I was sitting in the den with my little girl and we were taking a break from our Saturday chores.  We were watching an episode of a show that we have seen literally every day. My mouth dropped as a commercial came on about a new TV drama, and it showed two teenage girls making out.   


Please keep in mind that this was a Saturday afternoon at 3:00.


Completely sideswiped by that one, I realize very quickly that I just didn't know what to say.  I half-way hoped she missed it.  She waited a few seconds and I thought maybe we were safe when the inevitable happened. Confused, she looked at me and said,


"Mom, I didn't want to see that."


Now, I am not going to get into the debate about society, the state of our culture, or my pie-in-the-sky ideals on maintaining my child's innocence.


 But...


She is a blank slate on which to write, and frankly I did not want this to be the first sentence….on this subject.


 She is 7!  Boys are still icky, kissing is taboo, and she has already found her prince. She calls him daddy.


So, now this image is in her head along with questions that I wasn't prepared to answer at the age of 7.


 There are unspoken rules about what is acceptable in a public setting, and what is just too far.  Why, in the middle of a kid’s show did someone decide to put that in front of her eyes?

                                           I know why. 


    We are a culture in the process of excusing everything. 


De-sensitizing our children so that when they are older that they see no more absolutes about right or wrong. We are creating an anything goes society.    We tell everyone to be whatever and whoever they want to be.  We are told to accept even when the act is unacceptable by God’s standards.


It used to be this subject was about the inappropriateness of a male- female relationship and how it is portrayed on TV in ways that would make a grown woman blush.


 Now, we have gone one step farther.   It is that one step that is making the vulgarity of the former “not that bad.”


 I fondly remember when there was no need for ratings, or explanations about content.  You could enjoy a show without being “on guard.”  I remember even when TV commercials didn’t need ratings. 

Lets face it ...some of that stuff is just as bad as the shows themselves. 



Now it is getting to the point that I would just as soon not even have it on.


I know what you are saying, and I guess you are right. 

 I am a prude.


 But, I just can't promote the TV idea on relationships, dating, etc. as "a try- on- and- see –if- you- like- it- plan."   After years in youth ministry I can tell you without doubt: that is a recipe for disaster.



I have come to the conclusion that I am engaged in a full-on pursuit for my child’s heart. I want to protect the beauty and mystery of God’s design, while the world is doing everything possible to do just the opposite.

                                         So, now I am just mad!




 Mad at someone stealing something that I am trying so hard to protect.


 Mad about things that I can't control.


 Mad about society’s justification about changing times.
 
 
Mad about my daughter's innocence interrupted.


 Mad about the fact that no matter what I do or say....



                          I can’t get that moment back.



.


3 comments:

  1. It just goes to show that no matter the situation you cannot control everything. But what you can do is teach them the difference between right and wrong and pray everyday that God guides them in your teachings which of course is His teachings...That is what growing up is all about...Think about it, things you saw and knew were wrong, you didn't do or go along with because you knew it was wrong and chose to stand your ground. I know this because I tried to persuade you...haha.. Anyway, I think you will see that my point is that you are doing right by talking to your kids about it now instead of letting them find out later on their own with no guidance....You are a wonderful mom, teacher, servant of God, and your kids will learn and live by you as long as you are there to talk to them and guide them....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the same commercial and had a similar conversation with my 12 year old son. His comments were more along the lines of, "Mom, that's wrong." So it opened the door for a conversation with us about what God's Word says. We live in a sinful world, and I am thankful to know there are other moms who feel the same way I do. God bless you and thank you for so often putting my feelings in words!

    ReplyDelete

Pages